Jewish Cemeteries

The Nazis destroyed the ancient Jewish cemetery of Thessaloniki that covered about 300,000 sq. m. in the area where the University Campus is situated today. The graves were looted and tombstones were scattered all over the city.
After the liberation, the Community founded a new cemetery in the Stavroupolis area. Some tombstones from the old cemetery were carried there and a memorial to the victims of the Holocaust has been erected

 

Villa Modiano

It was built in 1906 as the residence of Jacob Modiano by the engineer Eli Modiano. In 1913 the villa was bought by the City of Thessaloniki and offered as a palace to King Constantine. It was used in the inter-war period as the residence of the Governor General of Macedonia, and it later housed the Military School of Medicine. Since 1970 it has been housing the Macedonian Popular Art Museum.

Villa Kapantzi

Villa Kapantzi now belongs to the National Bank of Greece and serves as an art gallery. It was built by the convert Jewish Ahmet Kapantzi in 1897. It was the residence of Prince Nicholas in 1912 and of Eleftherios Venizelos in 1917, then the prime minister of the provisional government based in Thessaloniki. Between 1922 and 1928, refugee families were housed in the rooms of the villa. It was requisitioned by the German military command during the occupation in the Second World War and was probably a significant place in the destruction of Thessaloniki’s Jewry.

Villa Mordoch

The building is a representative sample of eclectic architecture that characterized the "towers" of Queen Olga's Avenue. It is a two-storied, tile - covered edifice with an elevated basement and an attic. One of its art-nouveaux elements, while of significant interest in also the internal painting decor. The corner tower-like formation with the dome gives the building a special style. Villa Mordoch was built in 1905 for the Turkish divisional commander, Seifoulah Pasha, based on the designs drawn by the famous architect X.Paionidis. The year of its construction is certified by the Turkish artist who undersigning the wall-paintings in Arabic, wrote: "Nouredin 1905".Today, it houses the Municipal Art Gallery and the offices of the 5th Municipal District.

Holocaust Mahnmal

The Monument in honor of the 50,000 Greek Jews of Thessaloniki, who were martyred in Nazi death camps, is located in Liberty Square where it was transferred in 2006.Was revealed at the intersection of Alexander Papanastasiou and Nea Egnatia, on 23 November 1997 from the President of the Republic Mr Constantine Stephanopoulos. Designed by brothers Glid and represents the seven-branched lamp and flames with a grid of human bodies.

Villa Allatini

A work by the Italian architect Vitaliano Pozelli. It was built in 1888 as the summer residence of the Jewish Allatini family. Between 1909 and 1912 it was used as the prison-residence of Sultan Abdul Hammid II, who was overturned by the New Turks. In 1926 it hosted the newly founded University of Thessaloniki while during the 1940-41 War it was used as a hospital. Today, Villa Allatini houses the Prefecture of Thessaloniki offices.

Villa Bianca

Villa Bianca or Villa Fernandez is the name of a famous mansion in the city of Thessaloniki, Greece. It is located in Vassilisis Olgas street and was built in the early 20th century as a residence for Dino Fernandez Diaz and his family. The architect was Pietro Arrigoni. Of Italo-Jewish origin, Fernandez was an wealthy merchant and industrialist of the city. The villa passed to his daughter, where she lived with her Christian husband, and was later confiscated and used by the Germans during the Axis occupation of Greece. To escape from the Nazis, Dino Fernandez Diaz, with other members of his family, fled to Italy, but they were murdered in 1943 by the SS. The building has elements of eclecticist architecture, like many other buildings of that period in the city. From 2013 it houses the Municipal Art Gallery.

Newsletter Subscription

Subscribe to our Newsletter to receive our latest offers!