Warehouse A, 1st floor, Port Thessaloniki, Navarchou Votsi 3 str. 54624
T +30 2310 566 716
F +30 2310 566 717
www.thmphoto.gr / www.photobiennale.gr
2.00 € 1.00 € 0.50 €
The Museum of Photography is the only state-run museum dedicated solely to photography, aiming to approach all different usages of the photographich medium. Its activities are realized on a local, national and international level. Its collections and its archives include more than 100.000 photographic objects. The Museum organizes the international photography festival of PhotoBiennale.
The Nazis destroyed the ancient Jewish cemetery of Thessaloniki that covered about 300,000 sq. m. in the area where the University Campus is situated today. The graves were looted and tombstones were scattered all over the city.
After the liberation, the Community founded a new cemetery in the Stavroupolis area. Some tombstones from the old cemetery were carried there and a memorial to the victims of the Holocaust has been erected
Ethnikis Antistasews 173-175, Foinikas
T +30 2319 471 176
F +30 2310 471176
The History of Pharmacy in Greece, as well as the Science of Pharmacology, presented through the display of pharmaceutical instruments, objects, tools, books, recipes, ingredients, forms, botanies and drugs. Is the only Pharmaceutical Museum in Greece.
It was built in 1906 as the residence of Jacob Modiano by the engineer Eli Modiano. In 1913 the villa was bought by the City of Thessaloniki and offered as a palace to King Constantine. It was used in the inter-war period as the residence of the Governor General of Macedonia, and it later housed the Military School of Medicine. Since 1970 it has been housing the Macedonian Popular Art Museum.
Ag. Dimitriou 159Α, 54636
T +30 2310 247 111, +30 2310 991 613
F +30 2310 991 610
Mo, Tu, Th, Fr 09.00—14.00
1.5 € 2.5 € 5.00 €
Teloglion Foundation, since its establishment in 1972, thanks to the donation of Nestor and Aliki Telloglou, is not only a museum, but a place where multiple cultural events take place. The main Collection consists of paintings, sculptures and engraving works of famous Greek and European artists of the 19th-20th century, and important artworks related to different cultures. The Foundation’s organizes important educational programs on an annual basis.
Musa Baba’s tomb is in the upper town. This tomb was used as the fan club of a local football team. Now it is abandoned. The space to the north of it should have been a cemetery according to an old Ottoman map. But now there is a large residential house in the plot where the map shows a cemetery. The square in the south west of it is a today playground for the children of the neighborhood. The map also indicates a small mosque to the north west of the Tomb, however, there was no trace to be found of it. There is no sign on the tomb or in the square that it is an Ottoman structure.
On Olympiados Street, at its junction with Profiti Elia Street, on a naturally rocky elevation, lies the imposing Church of Profitis Ilias. It is unique in Thessaloniki in terms of its architectural type : a tetrastyle cross-in-square trincoch with a natrex (lite) and an ambulatory terminating in two chapels. The Church was dedicated to Christ and served as the catholicon of the Akapniou Monastery. Of its iconographic decoration, only the portrayal of the Infanticide, representative of the final period of Palaeologan painting, survives in the narthex.
The Rotunda of Agios Georgios or (in English) the Rotunda of St. George is one of the oldest and most imposing monuments in Thessaloniki.
It was part of a large complex that included the palace, an octagonal building and the Hippodrome, built by Caesar Galerius in the first Tetrarchy (around 300 AD), when he established Thessaloniki as his base.
The cylindrical structure was built in the 4th century AD on the orders of Galerius, who was thought to have intended it to be his mausoleum. It never served for this purpose, since Galerius died and was buried far away from Thessaloniki.
The temple was then converted into a Christian church and was possibly used as a Martyria, a place where the relics of the saints are worshipped. This theory is supported by both the circular form of the building and the images of saints depicted on the mosaics throughout the dome.
Immediately outside the walls of the Acropolis, on Acropoleos Street, lies the Patriarchal and stauropegic Vlatadon monastery, the only Byzantine monastery still holding services in the city. It was founded between 1351 and 1371 by the monk Dorotheus Vlatis, a pupil of Gregory Palamas, and subsequently Metropolite of Thessaloniki. Of the original complex, only the catholicon survives, built in the cross-in-square type with an ambulatory ending in chapels. The mural decoration in its interior dates between 1360 and 1380. The church was initially dedicated to Christ Pantokrator and today honours the Metamorphosis tou Sotiros (Transfiguration of the Saviour).
Thessaloniki’s Geni Mosque (tzami) is an important monument from the Ottoman period. It was built in 1902 for the Donmeh (Jews that converted to Islam) by the architect Vitaliano Poselli. It is divided into two floors and is consistent with the ecclesiastic architecture of the 20th century.In 1924, after the expulsion of the Donmeh, Geni Mosque housed the Archaeological museum of Thessaloniki. Today it is used as an exhibition space.